Thursday, March 27, 2014

Springtime Glory

Springtime Glory
11x14 inches, Oil on Panel
At last, it looks as though springtime has graced our beautiful area of the Lowcountry of South Carolina! 

The marsh area is beginning to show its spring colors, which inspired this painting.  I was happy with the sky, using a limited palette… ultramarine blue, cadmium red light, cadmium yellow light, and of course, white.  I started with a tonal painting of transparent red oxide and established my darks and mid-tones.  If only I could have remembered to take early photos of my process! Some of the underpainting shows through in the sky, which I love.  The sky in the actual painting is quite soft, but it seems to appear more intense, depending on your monitor.

Tomorrow I am headed to Greensboro, Georgia where one of my paintings will be exhibited at The Magnolia Gallery, for the Women Painters of the Southeast 2014 show. It should be an exciting weekend, and I'm looking forward to meeting so many talented women artists from the Southeast. Have a great weekend, everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Spring is indeed a beautiful sight ! Love the beautiful sky!
    I wish I could be there to see the exhibition and your painting, I hope you take some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Azra! I will try to take photos of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sky is beautiful. Enjoy your weekend and as Azra says, take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your beautiful marsh painting! Congratulations on your entry this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so hopeful and beautiful! I can't wait for spring, like today! Maybe the paintsters should try to all do that show next year. That would be fun!. Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can just feel that morning sky, Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pulled forward toward the marsh to gently float on waters edge.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.