Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pink Camellia

Pink Camellia
8x8, Oil on Linen

There are beautiful camellias in bloom in my yard right now.  It is also 39 degrees outside, which is  highly unusual for Hilton Head, this time of year. Normally, we would be enjoying sunny skies, with temperatures in the 70's. I'm not complaining… because I know my friends in the midwest, and up north have it much, much worse. The plants must be so confused! I feel bad for all the local garden centers which are bursting with gorgeous springtime plants, but few buyers. Everyone seems to agree that it's too cold to work in the garden! On the other hand, I have been buying a lot of fresh flowers and flowering indoor plants, just to stay inspired.  

As I worked on this painting, I  started with a big brush to lay down color. Then I used a palette knife to "sculpt" the petals.  I had fun!

8 comments:

  1. Very lovely! It will be a long time before we see those here in Maine. What an awful winter. I really like your rose study too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the all the shades of pink and the loose brush and palette knife work!! Hang on in there Linda, spring is just around the corner.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, Linda! Your pinks are lovely and pure. Gorgeous brushwork, too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it and the beautiful colors! Am enjoying your loose work--so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Linda. I have trouble with pinks and you captured them so well. I think the
    entire country is sick of winter for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for all the nice comments. I really wasn't sure about this one when it was finished… so I really appreciate your positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only hope that spring will get here soon. Love the color and the stroke work here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It snowed here today! But there's only 12 days until spring so I'm remaining optimistic that our tulips and daffodils will eventually push out of their ice crusted beds and grace us once again. In the meantime, thank you for this gorgeous bloom, and in my signature color no less!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.