Sunday, November 10, 2013

Colors of Autumn

Colors of Autumn
6x8, Oil on Panel
L. Nickles©2013
To purchase this painting click here.

The last few weeks have been very hectic, and it's hard to believe we are facing the middle of November already.  Yikes! Last month, I had the opportunity to reunite with an old friend, whom I hadn't seen in thirty years. Then I connected with artist/blogger friend Cindy Greene, when she visited Hilton Head, as well as Anita Tresslar.  I also had the chance to visit with artist and friend, Karin Jurick. Good times!

Last week I participated in a five-day plein air workshop with Lois Griffel, formerly with The Cape Cod School of Art.  What an honor it was to learn about light and color from this amazing artist!  Five days of plein air painting is grueling, and I am still feeling exhausted!

I've written before about some of the challenges of plein air painting.  Well, this time I had the awful experience of seeing my gear fall into alligator-infested water… yes alligators! Just as I was setting up my palette, a gust of wind swept away my paints, brushes and palette knife. It happened so quickly that there wasn't time to react. I'm so grateful to the brave soul who used a pole to successfully fish everything out of the water for me.  Thankfully, nothing else happened!  My paints survived, as did my brushes.  I only lost one palette knife.  That's not so bad!

Below are a few photos of Lois teaching, and also a few friends.

Here, Lois demonstrates painting blocks.

Visiting with Blogger friend, Cindy Greene.

Together with friend and artist, Anita Tresslar

Wrapping up with Cathy Engberg, and Lois Griffel



14 comments:

  1. The colors in your painting are lovely! How wonderful to see this view from your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting! Love those purples and oranges you incorporated. A very interesting post. Stay away from those alligators. I'll check out your friends' blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Linda. I never run out of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Judy! Yes, I'm definitely staying away from alligators! Also, thank you for checking out my friends' blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful painting Linda. I too have had all my stuff blow over but never in water with alligators. That had to be an awful experience. Glad you only lost a palette knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. Yes, after that incident, I was ready to head back to my studio and never venture outside again!

      Delete
  6. The lilac and warm colours are so beautiful, a definite stunner!! Thanks for sharing your photos, it looks like you've had a great time. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely painting Linda! And, ooh, alligators....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting is beautiful, Linda! And I love reading about your travels! How fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the painting. the color is superb and the composition is excellent. So glad you had a chance to get together with so many friends and learn so much. Glad to have you back among the bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! And you still had time to create this gorgeous painting! How satisfying to spend time with not only great friends, but wonderfully talented friends! And since you got all your supplies back and nobody lost an arm, the alligator pond makes a great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Darla, and Sharon. I appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.