Monday, November 18, 2013

Autumn Joy

Autumn Joy
6x6, Oil on Panel
L. Nickles©2013
SOLD

The past few weeks, our marsh in South Carolina's LowCountry has displayed a magnificent range of colors.  The early setting sun casts beautiful shadows, while the warm golds and reds of the marsh have been amazing.  Just like any sunset, the beautiful rich colors last only a few moments.

I've been reevaluating my goals lately, and have decided to spend more time working on larger pieces.  This decision hasn't been easy, but I feel that it's what I need to do in order to move forward.  I need to challenge myself.  I'll continue  to post my work, both large paintings and small studies, but it may not be as often. To my followers, thank you for all the comments you leave.  I truly appreciate the support of all my artist friends, as well as collectors, and hope that you will continue to follow my work.

In other news, I visited with fellow artist and blogger, Carol Carmichael, who participated in Savannah's 19th Annual Telfair Art Fair.  For those of you who are familiar with Carol, you know she paints the most amazing cows, among many other things!  I'm glad to have shown up at the right time, because she sold two very large cow "portraits" within minutes.  Her work is even more amazing in person! Things were so busy, there wasn't time for pictures.  Carol and I met at a Karin Jurick workshop three years ago, and I have admired her ever since.  She is extremely talented, but very humble and kind.  She has been a role model to many other artists.  I'm proud to know her.  So, if you don't know Carol, check out her work here.


16 comments:

  1. Very pretty painting Linda.
    Also wanted to tell you that I loved your tip of using a small squeeze bottle for liquid. I've applied this tip and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nancy. Also, I'm so glad you liked the Liquin tip. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Linda! I'm looking forward to seeing your larger work too!

    It's so great you got to see Carol. Great timing to see her selling! So happy for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! It was really great to see Carol, and her paintings in person!

      Delete
  4. I love your work and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do in large format. I've been thinking along much the same lines but I don't want to alienate my small work patrons so I'm going to divide up my time roughly half and half. That will probably mean 15 small paintings and 3 - 5 larger paintings a month. Here's hoping it works for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sea Dean. I will most likely continue with marsh scenes, but I hope to try other subjects as well. You have an ambitious plan. Best wishes to you!

      Delete
  5. Another gorgeous marsh painting! Linda I too have been starting to paint larger. I'm not there yet but creeping up inch by inch. It's kind of scarey because the larger boards are more and more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. Oh yes, the cost of large panels (or canvas)… yikes!

      Delete
  6. I love the reds and golds in this painting, Linda! So beautiful! I will be looking forward to seeing your new work, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this painting--wonderful colors! Happy painting with your large paintings, and thanks for the links. I'll check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Linda. I am also looking forward to seeing what you do in larger format. And how large you go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This painting is indeed a joy to look at!! I think you will do very well on a larger surface, your landscapes will look even better! It would be great to see some progress shots as you work on them so we can all still keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your paintings have a quality that seems to glow in your colors and application. This one is just gorgeous .... I love the autumn feel with the reds and yellows. You live in a beautiful spot no doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Darla… Judy… Meredith… Azra… and Debi! I always appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, your marsh painting is beautiful! Congrats on the sale and looking forward to seeing the larger paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, and encouraging words!

      Delete

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.